Water is the single most damaging element to masonry in our environment. Even in a short period of time, water can deteriorate and stain unprotected masonry. Rainwater dissolves natural salts within masonry that recrystallise when the surface dries. After repeated wet/dry cycles these salts build up, creating internal pressure that weakens the masonry. Rainwater that contains atmospheric pollutants (acid rain) chemically further weakens the substrate.
These factors, interacting with other natural forces, eg temperature extremes and biological growth, may result in structural and aesthetic damage, such as:
- Cracking, spalling and delamination of masonry surfaces due to freeze/thaw cycles.
- Lime and rust staining
- Damp walls
- Mildew, moss and lichen growth
- Chemical corrosion from acid rain
- Reduced thermal insulation
Protection can be applied to:
- Cast stone
- Granite (polished or unpolished)
- Limestone (polished or unpolished)
- Marble (polished or unpolished)
- Simulated stone
Get in touch
To arrange masonry protection for your property, please call 07786 86 87 33.